MAN Truck & Bus
The production of commercial vehicles starts at a small assembly plant in Lindau on Lake Constance. At this time the plant was still known as the M.A.N.-Saurer Truck Works – a joint venture with the Swiss company Adolph Saurer AG. Light cardan trucks were produced here, as well as heavier chain-driven vehicles. Just a year later commercial vehicle production was relocated from Lindau to Nuremberg.
World début: MAN presented the world’s first diesel engine vehicle with fuel injection and an entirely new type of bus construction, built on a low-frame chassis.
The first 3-axle and trolley buses were built by MAN in the 1930s. This was the most powerful heavy-duty diesel truck in the world at the time, with 140/150 HP. Along with the development of turbo chargers for diesel engines and the all-wheel drive for commercial vehicles, MAN introduced assembly-line production manufacturing.
The plants in Nuremberg were repeatedly targeted by air raids during the Second World War. Nevertheless, the production of civilian commercial vehicles was maintained for as long as possible. Alongside this, production was mainly focussed on tanks, and also buses and trucks to be used as military vehicles, e.g., the ‘Einheitsdiesel’ (uniform diesel) with all-wheel drive. At the end of 1944, the halls and production machinery were almost completely destroyed.
Take a trip into the past with MAN. The year is 1951. Have a look in the MAN production halls and see the original sequence of production for the manufacture of MAN F8 short-nose trucks. From the initial production step through to delivery.
MAN production halls in Nuremberg
The legendary F8 short-nose trucks and buses in the MKN design with alligator engine compartment lid shape the image of the German streets during the time of the reconstruction and the start of the German ‘Wirtschaftswunder’ (economic miracle).
When it comes to off-road vehicles, it is mainly MAN’s agricultural tractors and the Ackerdiesel that are still used to some extent today, in agriculture and the timber industry.
Up until 1954 the tractors, buses and trucks were built in Nuremberg. MAN moved to its new and bigger plant in Munich-Allach due to increasing levels of production. The first truck, a 515 L1, came off the assembly line here on 15 November 1955.
The 100,000th truck comes off the assembly line after only ten years. The main image both on and off road for this decade was the powerful Hauber and cab over engine vehicle known as the ‘Pausbacke’.
MAN took over the Büssing company at the beginning of the 1970s. This is how the Braunschweig lion found its way on to MAN's product logo. MAN entered into the production and sale of lightweight truck models in cooperation with the French commercial vehicle manufacturer Saviem and later on together with Volkswagen.
The MAN 19.280 was selected as ‘Truck of the Year’ in 1978 – many more distinctions were to follow.
The Munich-based commercial vehicle manufacturer also produced and sold trucks and buses in South Africa, the United States and Turkey. They were also able to achieve a considerable production capacity in Austria thanks to the takeover of the ÖAF, Gräf & Stift and Steyr brands.
With the G90, M90 and F90, MAN established a vehicle family consisting of a series of lightweight, medium-weight and heavy-duty trucks, which is still around today in a similar form.
MAN presents the MAN Lion's Star FRH 442 coach. It was awarded Coach of the Year in 1994. The bus production took place in the former Büssing plant in Salzgitter, which MAN had already taken over in 1971.
MAN set new standards in the heavy-duty truck segment with the TGA at the turn of the century. In 2001, the new truck series was awarded the accolade ‘Truck of the Year’ and won the ‘iF product design award’. The takeover of the premium bus brand NEOPLAN took place in the same year.
MAN presents the TGL and TGM; the new series of trucks in the lightweight and middle-weight categories. The introduction of the new generation of engines also took place at this time, with innovative Common-Rail-Systems and MAN HydroDrive® switchable all-wheel drives.
There was also continued success in the bus sector as the MAN Lion’s City was awarded ‘Bus of the Year’.
MAN sets a new milestone in international transport solutions with the two new heavy-duty truck series; the TGX and TGS, as successors to the TGA series. The new models were awarded ‘Truck of the Year’ in 2008 and were nominated for the German Design Award. The V8 option with 680 HP was at the time the most powerful series truck in Europe.
With the MAN Lion‘s City Hybrid, the fourth generation of the hybrid buses goes into series production. Thanks to its innovative hybrid drive concept the model can make fuel savings of up to 25%, and was awarded the ‘ÖkoGlobe’ and ‘Red Dot Design’ awards in 2011.
MAN introduced its new Euro 6 exhaust-gas technology at the IAA in 2012. The revised TG series also got a facelift: the Lion moved for the first time to its position over the letters that make up the company logo, and from this point onwards was considerably more dynamic in terms of its form.
MAN presents its newest flagship, the TGX D38. Its core element is the new D38 six-cylinder inline engine with a displacement of 15.2 litres and the option of either 520, 560 or 640 HP.
World premières. Alongside the new NEOPLAN Tourliner and numerous upgrades to the TG series, the Munich-based group is stepping into the world of transporters for the first time. MAN is completing the lower end of its product range with the new MAN TGE, with a permissible gross weight between 3.0 and 5.5 tons. In doing so, MAN has become a full range supplier. On top of this, new concepts for electromobility and digital solutions are being introduced.
A harmonious interplay of maximum output, the highest levels of efficiency and unbeatable performance. All found in a more self-assured design with optimised functionality. The following video will show you the new MAN. The best of all time. Have a look for yourself.